Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Marathon Training Starts!

Today marked the beginning of my marathon training.  I am following Hal Higdon's Intermediate 1 Training Schedule, which is an 18-week plan.  I decided to interview myself (i'm awesome!) so I can come back and reflect later on.
Marathon - Hal Higdon


Why did you decide to run a marathon?
I wanted a challenge.  I ran my first 3 half-marathons with very little training and did surprisingly well.  I knew as soon as I finished them that I could do a marathon and knock that off my bucket list.  


What do you expect to get out of this marathon?
A medal.  Probably about a day's worth of bragging rights, but after that I'll begin my training for my half iron man.  In the words of the ultra-distance runner, Navy SEAL David Goggins "I don't stop running when I'm tired, I stop when I'm done."  That means to me that there is no finish line.  Finishing this race will be a nice check-mark on my list of things I've done, but it will just be a stepping stone to the next challenge.


What are your goals for the race?
My primary goal is to run the entire thing (walks through the water station).  I hope to finish around 3:30 but will be happy with anything under 4:00.  I want to make sure it is fun and that I enjoy myself during the training!


How did your first run feel?
Today I did 3 miles.  I have not run in over 2 weeks since the last leg of the Ragnar Relay and the rest has definitely paid off.  My ankle pain was about a 7 (out of 10) during Ragnar and during today's run I would say it is about a 1.  I did feel it slightly, but it was virtually non-existent.  The biggest thing I noticed was that my lung capacity was diminished a bit.  Typically its my legs that give out before my lungs, and today was a bit difficult to maintain my pace for the full 3 miles (i ended up averaging just over 8min/miles).  


What are you most afraid of?
Getting hurt and having to cancel the race.  I want to make sure I follow the plan so I don't hurt myself, but as it is the plan already has me going 24 miles in the first week, which was towards the higher end during my half-marathon training!  Daily mileage isn't that much, but weekly mileage does creep up there.


Done.  It'll be interesting to come back afterwards and check on my train of thought during the peak of my training and after the race.  




On an unrelated note, I've been reading "Lone Survivor" by Marcus Luttrell:





This is truly an inspirational book, and while Marcus does dive into some political opinions regarding the Rules of Engagement (which in my mind is a very valid argument but detracts from the real message of the book), it is a humbling book.  Having a brother-in-law who is an active SEAL currently serving overseas, it makes me proud everyday of what he is doing for us.  The Navy has always been a true inspiration to me, and something that has helped me continue to challenge myself every day.  Hooyah!



No comments:

Post a Comment